SLAAM
Slog Across America

Comments

Showing: 26-50 of 199
Roland Feige said:   June 10, 2012 2:44 pm PST
Jay and Barbara I do want to tell you, while I still have the time, because your finishline is in sight. I am totally in Awe of you guys and your accomplishment, and I know I speak for the rest of the Rusty Spokes Cycling Team. We are proud of you and would like to have been part of that adventure, but know it will never happen. Even though I can't say, been there, done that, I can say Been there, because of you writing and picture description of the trip, because it made me feel just like I've been there. Thank you Barbara and Jay, great job. Enjoy the last few days, get home safely, and congratulations. You have been a great inspiration.

Cynthia said:   June 10, 2012 2:23 pm PST
For the two of you....I am so glad you are so close to the end! For the rest of us, your reading public... we are sorry we won't have your delightful comments to read each day! You two are The Best!!! Keep riding!

Bridget and Linda said:   June 10, 2012 1:20 pm PST
Hi Guys- B, you are looking pretty svelte there where as I feel like I've gained 20 lbs just reading about the WONDERFUL food you're eating. You look good too, Jay. I'm amazed by 2 things- 1. How discerning your palate has become for white trash cuisine and....what is the other??? Oh yeah the bike ride. There IS light at the end of this loooong tunnel. Ride On!! Here's to an incredible accomplishment ( I'm toasting to you with a beer in hand). Sending you love from home. B&L

Jenni & family said:   June 9, 2012 6:50 pm PST
You two are amazing, and in the home stretch! We're living vicariously through you. Keep it up! Can't wait to see you back here in California and hear about your travails over a glass of wine ...and some food that promises to be better than the many convenience store meals you've been living on. :)

Nic Reveles said:   June 9, 2012 1:41 pm PST
Wow! I come back from Italy and you guys are STiLL on the road! So inspiring. I'm just loving your blog and the pics. Congratulations on this amazing trip!!!

Martin said:   June 9, 2012 7:05 am PST
Wow. You're almost there! Thanks for sharing this big adventure (and accomplishment).

Grant said:   June 8, 2012 8:07 pm PST
The following two things happened in exactly this order: First, I watched one of your tunnel videos (one with narration) and thought to myself "Wow, I never noticed that Barbara had such a strong southern California accent!" Then I read your blog posting saying how someone knew where you were from just from how you talked. Maybe your native accent is getting stronger the farther from home you get?

Grant said:   June 8, 2012 8:01 pm PST
I can't believe you guys are getting so close to the end! What ARE we all going to talk about once it's over? I'm loving the (non-rescue) turtle pics. I wish we had turtles in forests here just wandering around wild.

Pat said:   June 8, 2012 4:08 pm PST
We have some WV stories for you! You're almost to Cumberland! Yeah! We'll have a beer for you when you get there. The church hotel sounded creepy! Jesus and guns!

Valerie Stevenson said:   June 8, 2012 4:18 am PST
I just got back from Atlanta, but somehow I don't think the travails of the airport and a rough flight will impress you after seeing what you report here, so I'll just wait Nd tell you about it sometime. I'm so relieved to hear you are OK...I am pretty sure the woman who asked if you were "packing" was just phishing to see if she could rob you without getting shot. Whew!

E said:   June 7, 2012 5:51 am PST
oh, did I type "countries?" I mean "counties." ha ha ha

E said:   June 7, 2012 5:35 am PST
jesuslovesyou as a wifi code??????????? y'all are so brave, traveling these foreign countries with their odd languages and customs. hang in there! see you in a week!

Merle said:   June 6, 2012 7:52 pm PST
Barbara, are you the only one getting flats, or are you just not reporting Jay's? It's hard to believe that you're almost there. Way to go. We miss you. Merle

Pat said:   June 6, 2012 6:53 am PST
Jay and Barb! I think we will all be happy when you reach the bike trail. Those semis sound nasty! We'll make you some great sandwiches when you get home. Happy pedaling and stay safe!

Gayle Z said:   June 5, 2012 4:50 pm PST
Wow I can't believe you went through Oxford! Miami is my alma mater and it was a great place to go to school. Your photos brought back memories.

Jenny said:   June 4, 2012 10:48 am PST
Hi guys! I'm still chuckling over the "California" accent entry - trying to figure out what a Cali accent would sound like to someone in middle America; lilt is upper Midwest, nasal is Chicago, drawl is Southern or Texan, and of course, then there's New England or New York. What the heck differentiates us? Vocabulary? For ice cream - sometime in the future (I know you can't imagine it now!) you've got to do a tour that takes you into Wisconsin for their local "ice cream". As I remember, they call it ice custard - 10% milk fat (! - it's a dairy state!) and head-banging good. Gettin' close now - keep on keepin' on! You've been doing a great job living the Pork Belly creed: suck it up, stick it out! LIke Tammy & Pete always say, the worst days makes the best stories later...!

Cynthia said:   June 4, 2012 7:42 am PST
WOW...you are really progressing across that little states line on the top of the blog site!!! LOVE your commentaries...hope you publish a book! We all are so proud of you both! Keep riding safe!

Jay and Barbara said:   June 3, 2012 4:14 pm PST
Hi everyone! Thanks TONS for all your posts. Chris texts them to us as they come in and they are all day-brighteners. It means a lot to know you're all rooting for us. Some business to attend to: Preciados: The rules of the Squirrel Game do not allow for ties. Usually, there is always a split-second difference between us both yelling out "SQUIRREL" for the same animal. If it IS a tie, we argue about it and the person who is biggest baby about claiming the squirrel (usually, Jay) gets awarded the point. Merle: MerleFest is an annual event in Wilkesboro, NC that used to be put on by Doc Watson and is named after his son, Merle, who died in a tractor accident. Jay just got that from Wikipedia. Roland, thanks for confirmation of the groundhog/woodchuck. We saw one up close today and he looked just like the picture Jay found on the web yesterday. Martha: Your posts always make US giggle! Grant, what were you doing in Bloomington? Lecturing? Researching? Won't you look at hills differently now out of sympathy for us? Lisa R--I thought of Breaking Away a lot too, while we were in BTown. Gary E--what if the RAAM racers had to have an additional support person, just to take pictures of the squirrels they saw for verification?! And then you could get the opposite of penalty points depending on how many squirrels you saw. It'd be a very different race.... THANKS EVERYONE!

Roland Feige said:   June 3, 2012 1:45 pm PST
Good going, keep it up. The Critter you ran across in the field, could be a Groundhog. My son lives in Huron Ohio, close to Sandusky on Lake Erie, and every time we go there, we see these critters, even in his back yard. They are brownish with a short tail and have small ears. They are the largest rodent in the Squirrel Family, also known as Woodchuck. How much wood can a Woodchuck chuck?

Martha & Jay Shumaker said:   June 3, 2012 10:16 am PST
Returned form Philly last night - refused to look out the window this time. Sitting here Sunday morning catching up on The Slog, and chuckling at regular intervals. Jay is washing the dishes and, since he caught up yesterday he is double chuckling. I chuckle, he double chuckles (at me chuckling at you, and at you too) which makes me chuckle at him. Thanks for all the good-for-the-soul chuckling in the Shumaker household! Do it again.

The Preciados said:   June 3, 2012 7:44 am PST
Inquiring Preciados want to know...If you both see the same squirrel is it tallied into both of your totals? or does it go to the first who sees it? Sending you our best wishes!

Chuck Hansen said:   June 2, 2012 9:42 pm PST
My bike riding retired school teacher friend from South Bay writes "Another small world experience. Paul Hendricks is his full name. He used to be married to one of my wife's close friends. After retiring from Hilltop, he moved back to Indiana and opened an art studio. He used to be a race walker. I worked with him for a few years. I think he may still own some property in Chula Vista as I used to bump into him occasionally in that area. Thanks for the update. Maybe I could contact the riding group and find out what he is doing now. Again small world. Jim"

Merle said:   June 2, 2012 6:10 pm PST
Now I'm going to spend the rest of my life wondering what a MerleFest is. You don't suppose you could go back and ask the poor fellow? Merle

E said:   June 2, 2012 5:02 pm PST
so glad to see the Web Team collaborating, then resting! super cute! I'm so happy you two are nearing the end, pro'lly not as happy as you two are.

Lisa Radnovic said:   June 1, 2012 5:18 pm PST
Indiana looks beautiful! Glad you had a good riding day and kept safe and cool. Love the picture of the two of you, especially the giant burrito over Barb's shoulder.

Sign My Guest Book