SLAAM
Slog Across America

Comments

Showing: 51-75 of 199
pat said:   June 1, 2012 6:35 am PST
Barb & Jay, I'm glad you had a much deserved day of rest. Those roads and the heat sound nasty! It should be a real treat once you get to the trail. Safe riding and just kick those semis out of the way! May the wind be at your back!

Lisa Radnovic said:   May 31, 2012 9:30 pm PST
Your post made me want to go watch "Breaking Away" again, since you are on bikes and in Bloomington, Indiana.

Gary Elmer said:   May 31, 2012 9:09 pm PST
Looking at the map I can't believe you guys are almost there! Your legs are built up now for the final push! And no way they RAAM guys catch you - new rule this year that they also have to count squirrels!

Grant said:   May 31, 2012 6:53 pm PST
Love the turtle rescue pictures (we want more!) and very happy to see you're in Bloomington. I was there exactly one year ago and also thought it was a great place. And like you, I was surprised (pleasantly, in my case) at how hilly the surrounding area is. Hang in there, and keep the blog posts coming!

Martha said:   May 30, 2012 6:32 pm PST
Whoa - I flew to Philly today. Looking out the window. Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Hills ahead. Your flight home will be epic! Hope there are no clouds. Sending good vibes back to you. XO MS

Gayle Z - Knickerbikers said:   May 30, 2012 8:34 am PST
Hi Barbara & Jay. Sounds like the heat has made things tough but i know you both can do it! I bet the squirrels are getting bushier and plumper as you have traveled East! Look forward to more trip info.

Valerie said:   May 28, 2012 5:05 pm PST
So impressed with your tenacity! Sorry about all the stupid heat. Note to Al Gore: note data for climate change argument. Maybe it can help you pass the time in some of the rough spots by planning your return victory party--you know, thinking of recipes, planning the decorations--that kind of thing. Here's hoping you are facing gentler weather challenges in the days ahead.

E said:   May 28, 2012 4:11 pm PST
do gnats count as road kill? just wondering...

Justin said:   May 28, 2012 8:10 am PST
no showers ??wipes?? best english accent... "Whores bath top and tails yeahh"

Justin said:   May 28, 2012 8:07 am PST
"It's getting hott in herr.." Nelly "Horse with no name" America

Dina said:   May 27, 2012 12:17 am PST
Hello Barabara and Jay... it seems like such a long time ago that I saw you in Mission Trails...you are missed and it is sooooo quiet without you in the office ): we are all following you on your big adventure-Pee Wee has nothing on you! So much fun to read your blog... but makes us miss you even more...your'e almost there--hang in there the hot flashes will only last for the next 10 or 15 years :{ ps- what the heck am i doing up at 1am??? above all else remember to continue having fun...Dina -we are all following you on your adventure...

Judith said:   May 26, 2012 8:51 pm PST
Tres impressed with y'all, pushing along even when you don't want to keep going. BTW, Jackie and I did the C & O awhile back and you'll love it. Easy grade, I think nothing over 3%. You'll be in heaven! Ends up in Georgetown. Suweet.

Katie H said:   May 26, 2012 7:41 pm PST
Found it. The Great Allegheny Passage runs from Pittsburgh area to Cumberland and then the C&O Canal Towpath goes to DC. Total of 325 miles and max gradevof 1.5%.

Katie H said:   May 26, 2012 6:31 pm PST
I think that Cumberland has a really nice bike trail into DC. And it is the gap in the mountains :). I am sad that you might have to avoid my home state of WV, but totally understand! We miss you at work Jay and love vicariously living the adventure through Barbara's blog.

Dale Young said:   May 26, 2012 3:43 pm PST
Barb and Jay! Hey good to hear from you two! You made it to Red Bud! I don't know if you remember the recent history of the town, but unless I am mistaken it is one of the three towns that had a latest Mega Million winners in! You made good miles today...I wish we had taken RT 32 to Farmington...sounds a bunch easier than the ACA route. Dale

Vicki said:   May 26, 2012 10:13 am PST
Hi Jay & Barbara! Sorry it took me so long to sign up. I am so busy being a GRANDMA!!! Thank you for your blogs. I love them. I am living vicariously through your blogs--am having a great time! Seriously, I am proud of both of you and can't wait to read the next. Love to you both.

Tony Nohmy said:   May 25, 2012 5:06 pm PST
OK Rocky (double entendre) you got her on the ropes

Cynthia said:   May 25, 2012 3:13 pm PST
Just read today's...sounds like a good day. But really, Barbara...YOU a deaf mute or autistic????? :-)

Cynthia said:   May 25, 2012 3:04 pm PST
NEXT (?) time you do this, go in February, and in the opposite direction. Then you can be blown along the way across! Too many nasty headwinds the way you are going. Are you keeping track of where the have the best ice cream? Love your accounts! Do you know that 3800 people have checked your site as of today? Keep riding...we are all proud of you both!

eileen said:   May 25, 2012 8:24 am PST
You travelers are an inspiration to me. You take minimalism and exercise to a level I will never know. They just left the AAA office in Farmington MO for the next leg of their exciting adventure. They looked great, big smiling faces and good humor. Bon Voyage Eileen, AAA agent

E said:   May 25, 2012 4:22 am PST
YAY! that's amazing you saved so many turtles! They seem cute but not very pettable. I cannot believe how many more mountain ranges you're cycling through. who's wacky idea was this? It's overcast and rainy here, SOR! stay safe!

Lisa Radnovic said:   May 24, 2012 8:51 pm PST
Please, please, please tell me that you visited that "Spa" on the sign at River's Edge Cabin. If anyone deserved it, you do.

Diana said:   May 24, 2012 8:05 pm PST
Thank you for such enlightening AND entertaining posts. Your perseverence amazes me. Loved the picture of Queen Anne's lace, which also grows wild in OK. For years, my mom would have dad drive her up near Ponca City where she would cut a trunk full - take it home and dry it to use in the hundreds of cards she made and sent to people who needed a cheerful word. Take care. You are a great team.

Linda Hotchkiss said:   May 24, 2012 7:49 pm PST
Hey!! Bring back one of those baby chickens.............You both look like you're holding up stupendously!!!!!! You sure have alot of clothes.....Keep on truckin'! xo, Linda

Martha said:   May 24, 2012 7:48 pm PST
Make that .... I want to be you at The Cabin for the next several......

Sign My Guest Book